Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mockingbird

Sunday, March 8, 2009

I just finished watching To Kill A Mockingbird, the movie adaptation of Harper Lee's Pulitzer Prize Winning novel of the same title. It's my first black and white movie and I find it endearing and intelligent. The story plays around two main plots: the fascination (and terror) of the three kids to a reclusive neighbor and all the scary rumors about the man; and about a white lawyer (the father of two of the kids) who was appointed to defend a black man accused of raping a white woman. The main message of the story is aptly summarized from the line in the film: "You never really knew a man until you stood in his shoes and walk around in them."

What I liked about the movie its subtle yet brave way of confronting racism, which was a main issue in America during the time the novel was written. The element of suspense in story-telling was also seamlessly employed. And from what I have researched, this was one of the best film adaptations from a novel that was ever made, as approved by Lee herself. It was well-directed and there was a careful attention to details. I was drawn by the natural acting of the kids, especially the girl who played Scout. Most of all, though it was made on the 1960s, the movie's message is still relevant today -- that we should not judge people by their color or the way they look or what other people say about them. That we are created equal and everyone is worthy of acceptance, and we shouldn't kill a mockingbird -- we should not kill those that don't harm us.

I think I'll be digging on classic films for now. I'm done with Breakfast at Tiffany's and next on my list is Charley, another film adaptation, this time of a short story (actually there's also a novel version of it) entitled Flowers for Algernon.

7 comments:

Aimee said...

i've read that book only last month and i find it so amazing.. it's one of the best books i had ever read XD

manÜ said...

i have been sluggish in reading novels lately. i have been resorting to some easy-reads like reader's digest.

Carl Joseph Papa said...

great movie! loved peck in it. a true classic.

kcatwoman said...

i like the book so much.totally deserves the pulitzer. but i cant seem to find that elusive film. anyway, have you tried watching casablanca or the gone with the wind film? nice old movies

laagan said...

I borrowed this book from my friend and it was on my desk for three months without being read. When it was time to leave the Philippines, I had to return the book.
Now, I realized how much I missed. Will buy the book later. Thanks for this review. :-)

Bruce said...

Being American, I have read the book and seen the movie many times. As a commenter mentioned, Gregory Peck was a great and classic actor. The line from the movie is something similar to my feelings living here. It is "How can I judge someone until I have walked a mile in his shoes"

From this you can see on my site, I look for the good in people here in the Philippines and try not to judge the people I meet.

Maria Magcauaus said...

I have the book and I loved it. Forgot about the movie though, it's been a long time.