Thursday, February 26, 2009

Down South

Thursday, February 26, 2009

I had an official trip to the southern Philippines last week (Cagayan de Oro and Bukidnon) for our supply chain mapping of 'Solo' papaya. It was my second time in Cagayan de Oro City and my first time in Bukidnon. This trip has been very tiresome yet enjoyable and my most adventurous so far. I had several "first times" during the trip!

  • It was my first time to go to Bukidnon. I knew from my grade-school books that pineapple was the main commodity of this province. True enough, I saw hectares and hectares of pineapple farms. Those farms were contract-grown by Del Monte Philippines. It's also called the Baguio of the south because of it's also an upland province and it's cold climate.
  • While on our way to Bukidnon, there was a place where we are to go through a quarantine "pond," i don't know what it's really called (I had something like that also in one of my undergrad subjects but whatever, I forgot). All who pass through that place have to be 'quarantined.' It's the first province I went to with that quarantine thingy.
  • First time to eat "binaki." Out of curiousity, in one of our stop overs going to Bukidnon, I bought this local delicacy sold in the sidewalk. My guess is it's made of ground corn mixed with milk, wrapped in corn husk and then steamed. I think it's similar to "suman" only that "suman" is made from ground rice.
  • My first time to see a rubber plantation. I was facinated by the row of rubber trees because they look so the same (of course!) and they were of the same height. There was a little black thing attached to each tree that catches the latex.
  • I've never been to a cave before until the Makahambus Cave which is just a few minute ride from the airport (we went there before going back to Manila). The cave served as a hiding place of Filipino Soldiers during the war. The end of this cave is a cliff and down you'll see the river where white water rafters pass. White water rafting is one of the main attractions in Cagayan de Oro.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any pictures? Hasta luego. =)

manÜ said...

see new post. Ü

Boris said...

wow baguio in the south sounds awesome!

to be quarantined? naku kakatakot hehehe...

Oh the Makahambus Cave where filipino soldiers hide? gusto ko pumunta dun kasi part ka ng filipino history (gulo ko hehheeh...)

did you try the water rafting? kasi I've been dying to do that :)

hey I know that purple shirt of yours... hmmm... I think sa people are people ko iyon nakita. am i right?

Anonymous said...

id want to be there with you!

Jando said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jando said...

Hey buddy i commend you for being so vocal about you faith in Christ. u rock dude, keep bloggin.. kung may oras ka visit my blog too http://pimp-alife.blogspot.com/ your blog is great by the way