Monday, December 29, 2008

8 Things That Made My '08

Monday, December 29, 2008

I was reading a feature from a broadsheet about several lists of things that happened in 2008 and I thought I'll have my own. These are not really listed in order of significance. It's just a random list.

1. Blogging
Finally, I took it seriously. I blogged before out of boredom but now I'm doing it like I need to take a bath. For years, I haven't been writing for the sheer joy of writing and this is a revival. One of the good things that happened was I became aware and involved again. I mean, because before, I have been keeping my opinions to myself (especially about current events) but now, I get to write about them.

2. Mango supply chain project research, done!

One of the relieving and rewarding parts of being a researcher to see his research project finally completed. Finishing our mango research is precious to me because it was my first professional research study and I worked my butt out for almost three years. Perks included during the study includes travels to different part of the country like Davao, Guimaras, Iloilo, Pangasinan and Abra... and of course, a trip to Hong Kong!

3. PowerPoint presentations
This year, I made my boss an awful lot of PowerPoint presentations for all her lectures overseas -- Pakistan, China, Thailand and Cambodia. My highest record is four in a day. In several instances, friends from our church who are assigned to speak for our Tuesday youth fellowship also asked help from me in presenting their messages, digitally. Each slide has been a piece of canvass and to say that I am fascinated by it is an understatement.

4. Chris Tomlin Concert
This one is a major event. The work this guy is doing is really a blessing. His music is heartfelt and true worship. I volunteered for the Passion Conference Manila last August and the experience was awesome. I have been an usher for a night and seeing the crowd of almost 7000 who came together to worship God is just wonderful.

5. Ate Madel and Daph
These two officemates has been a big support for me, professionally and financially. The shared meals and the money they lent me for those times that my job contract was being processed were a huge help. Imagine no pay for more than a month... these ladies has helped me get through. Not to mention how they helped me not to screw in the lab with my clumsy little hands.

6. Online Shopping
This one is a sweet find. So far, I shopped replica watches, shirts, shemaghs and a bag through multiply.com. Lately, I have been eyeing Pepe Tees. Who knows what else are there to find in the www.

7. Ate Weng and Kuya A's Wedding
It was a pool wedding and it was beautiful. They were my former training apartment housemates and I get to reprise my perennial wedding role -- emcee. It was also a chance to get together with Ate Ritchi's family (the bride's sister) who is one of my mothers in faith. I got to spend time with her kids (her eldest was my godson) and I enjoyed it so much and I got to be a child again.

8. YM chit-chats and chat-fights
Letters are sweet and cards are good but getting in touch everyday with good friends through online instant messaging is the best, and cheap. There's my ever interesting conversations with a good good friend who migrated in the US where, in not so frequent times, end up in "mature" fights (hehe... she's a bully... oops, i hope she's not reading this). But really, thanks to online chatting, I was able to get in touch again with high school and college friends whom I never heard of for years. YM Status are sometimes enough to start a really good conversation (many times I got in trouble because of these "YM Status")

6 comments:

Mariah said...

ASCOT = Aurora State College Of Technology!

Anonymous said...

sound like you've got your year, huh... keep blogging 'tol.

Anonymous said...

i know for a fact that im not of the people you descibed in #8..because for one, im not mature! :D p.s. for some reason, i really think you included #8 specifically to indirectly tell this US migrated friend to stop bullying you..... hehehe..

Anonymous said...

Good for you friend. I'm sure you have a very good year 2008. Hopefully 2009 will be even better. Happy New Year. Happy Blogging.

Anonymous said...

hey, we used similar formats for our 2008 recap.

i love powerpoint too. i consider it art.

happy new year! keep blogging.

Anonymous said...

I was сurіous if you ever conѕidered
сhanging thе structure оf your website?
Itѕ very well wrіtten; I love what youve got to say.
Вut maybe you could a little moгe in the waу of content so people could
conneсt with it better. Youve got an aωful lοt of text for οnly having one or
tωo imаges. Mаybe you could sρace it out bеttеr?


Look at my website :: reputation management