Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Promdi*

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Internet? Are you kidding me?

It was only in my second year in college (I was 18 at that time) when I learned to surf the internet. I entered college with zero knowledge on how to use a computer. I mean ZERO knowledge. Yeah, I'm Tarzan who just had his taste of the city.

I grew up in one of the poorest (they actually say it's the poorest) provinces of the Philippines. My eyes grew in wonder like an awed caveman when I first saw the bright light of an electric bulb when I was 7 years old. I watched my first television show when I was 9. Life was so simple back then. We are way behind the latest technology but we are blessed with natural riches -- fresh clean air, beaches, seafood, and there's a gold mine in our little town

I passed the entrance exam of one of the universities (the BEST they say) in the country so I got to see a more civilized world. Then I have to confront myself of the reality that computer is going to be an important part of my college life. You could imagine the frustration! I didn't even know how to turn it on and off. I used to spend hours and hours of typing just a page of an essay because I didn't know about choosing and adjusting font, doing the margins... you know, those stuff a grade-schooler can chew like a bubble gum. In many instances, I lost my files and start all over again because I didn't know that you actually save them. Yeah, you can call me Tarzan now. Thanks to my kind friends from the small fellowship I was attending that time who taught me how to use Microsoft Office.

Then the internet. I used to just watch my friends do stuff with the computer. Internet is quite a popular word but I'm a complete dumb about it. Then one night, I was quite depressed and I got nothing to talk to. I mustered my strength, gathered all my courage and went off to a computer cafe near the university. Internet here I come... It was just the "e" I thought. That's what my friends usually click! Good thing I can read and I just followed what the screen told me after the clicking the "e". The rest was history.

So yeah, it's a long journey until I learned this blog thing. It's always good to take a pause and look back and see how far you've been. Makes you continue with the journey with a fresh wide eyed anticipation of life's next treats.

By the way, there is still no internet access in our little town. But since the last time I visited, network games (through LAN) like DOTA is becoming the kids' new addiction.



*Promdi is a Filipino slang for people "from the" province.

11 comments:

Carnation said...

hi there ec dropping. u've gone a long way with the 'puters

Anonymous said...

I encountered so many Filipino in the cyber world and found that this people are all quite friendly and interesting.

It's blogging become one of the hobby for filipino?

roentare said...

This is sooo different. I have never read anything similar to this

Anonymous said...

minsan din akong tanga sa internet dahil galing din ako sa isang mahirap na komunidad. una kong blog ay nagsimula noong 2004... hhehe...

Anonymous said...

nice story friend,,i appreciate that!! but well tanx so much for leaving a nice comments in my new blog,hehhe just so simple and im still searching how to make it nice,,help me nman sa templates ko.Ai friend tga cebu city pla ako,,nice meeting u.,,god bless

Anonymous said...

ohh my god anonymous yung panganlan ko sa comments mo!!hehhe,again tanx for being nice and good person.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Just wanna inform you that this blog has been nominated for the Filipino Blog of the Week award (on its third year, week 139).

Visit the site and poll is at the sidebar.

Anonymous said...

love to read your life 'cause yer not afraid to look or sound foolish :D its a virtue :)

Toivoa ja Elämän said...

hey what's the html for hiding part of the post with a link to view the rest?

Anonymous said...

great post! interesting, candid, inspiring, and entertaining.

congratulations on the blog of the week honor too. way to go!

Anonymous said...

I went to college with no computers yet available until I was in my 3rd year in UP (year 1987). I had a roommate who was quite rich and she had a computer. Makatawa pa kasi black ang screen and the images are in digital green. Files are stored in a floppy disk. Tapos you have to memorize codes for commands like Control F2 for something. My typewriter was forgotten and I had to borrow her computer all the time when I was writing essays, homeworks, etc. I was introduced to the net in 1996. But I got into blogging this year .